Saturday, July 15, 2017

Alfred Hitchcock's Night of the Ducks!

Did I say `ducks'?
Yes, those cute feathery little creatures provided us with much entertainment as they fought for the bread crumbs we tossed.  Not so cute later on that night.

As I lay in the V-berth reading and drifting off to sleep with the gentle rocking of the boat and the muted sounds of the harbor,  I slowly became aware of an increasingly staccato sound.   Hmm, that doesn't sound normal.  So I did what we all like to do, pretended I didn't hear it until I could no longer block it out and I just knew it wasn't going away.  I went aboveboard, no small feat when everything was buttoned up for the night.  On deck, I looked up and around the boat, but everything looked normal.  Checked the halyards, the stays... Walked up to the bow, but everything looked normal and in place.  Puzzled, I began to  go below when.... Wait!   Are those ducks?  Not just one or two but a horde swimming about the boat.  Then I listened again, yep that sound was low towards the waterline.  Could it be?  YES, those darned ducks were pecking at the hull of the boat.
Was it revenge?   Looking to gain attention for more food?  Eating insects against the hull?
Guess we will never know, it went on for a good hour and then they just disappeared into the inky darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment